water fun

water fun

Monday, September 19, 2011

Good Ol' Times

Here are things I remember from my childhood.  Chucky Cheese was called Showbiz Pizza with the a love your pizza bear band that played while you ate.  Our cartoons contained 'The Defender of the Universe', 'The Princess of Power', The Original Thundercats, Smurfs, Carebares, Little Ponies, and Transformers.  The game system we had was Atari, and Computers were only one kind had a green screen and no Internet.  We still had a lot of time outside.  I really played sports.  I may not have been good at them but I really played them. If I had a report to write I had to go to a library and look it up.  I had to know the Dewey decimal system in order to find what I wanted after I looked for it after I found it in the Card Catalog.  If I wanted to talk to my friend on the phone I had to make sure the phone line was clear or find a pay phone. If I wanted to meet and get to know new people I had to actually talk to them in person.  I may have been shy but I feel I got good chances at social interaction.  When we did get the Internet it was dial up.  That means you either got a second phone line because it needed to be hooked up or anytime someone picked up the phone in the home your Internet connection was lost.  Cable was no more than maybe 30 channels and yes we thought that was a lot.  We did have VCR but in order to record a show there was more steps to make sure the tape was blank and t.v was set to right channel no one could change the channel if something was recording.  Some may say I had it rough.  My kids may even read this and think wow you lived in stone ages.  Probably same thing I thought with my parents stories of what the had or did not have. I do see good in technology today it brings us so many chances for learning quicker and interacting with people we may never have had chance to.  But it also allows us to grow more distant and hide more from society.  Shows on TV today are so disrespectful and full of filth. Even remakes of good decent shows are more violent, sexy, and rude.  I know these may just be my thoughts on an ever changing world but there it is. I do wish we could turn back time on some thing but keep the good that has come from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment